2009/2010 Furniture Trends
If you have to sum up the hot furniture trends for the passing two years – one word comes to mind – eclectic!
- Metallic are hot these years and it shows – furniture takes on a new finish with metallic – out-glitzing the mirrored Hollywood Regency trend of last year.
- Asian styles that fell out of favor decades ago are taking a peek into rooms this year. Look for Japanese art inspired fabrics to start leading us down the path to a kinder, gentler Asian style in furniture.
- Bright sofas are front and center in living room furniture – out of the picture are neutral sofas with bright throw pillows, in the picture are bright sofas with neutral throw pillows.
- Curvy couches in heavier styles are often used in black and white decorated living rooms. Look for the couch to stick around when color hits the walls again.
- Comfort and Joy – Comfort keeps in the forefront for the year, thank goodness, and bright colored furniture will be all the rage.
- Modular furniture is flexibility personified for the cost-conscious consumer – urban dwellers in particular will be taking advantage of these new styles and choices.
- Eco-awareness continues in home furnishings, with natural and environmentally friendly furniture continuing the go-green trend.
- Gray is the hot neutral to showcase the bright furniture – a twist on the hot metallics for the year.
- Simple, understated styling graces furniture shapes.
- Reinterpreting the past – traditional with a twist will be hot in furniture – taking the furniture of the days of old and adding tricks of the trade to put a new face on them.
- A little Bohemia goes a long way – with the more clean furniture styles comes Bohemian pieced bright bold fabrics to add interest and spotlight the simplicity in the room.